Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Review: Chanel Perfection Lumiere Velvet Foundation

Hello everyone! I'm back with another review!
Some small updates on my life:
- School has been keeping me busy (per usual) and finals are approaching....
- Apparently I need to take a summer class...
- I'm still not getting good amount of sleep during the weekdays
- Enjoying the warmer weather (minus the pollen)
And yeah, not much else going on. I like doing reviews, but I want to be able to change up my posts too so I don't bore you guys. I might post things like makeup/skincare essentials, monthly favorites, or list products I've used up. Comment below if you have any suggestions?

Alright enough chit chat, I've been using this Chanel foundation for some time but I haven't reviewed it yet because I wanted to make sure I really had a good assessment before posting anything. Overall, I really like this foundation. :)

What is it?

The Chanel Perfection Lumiere Velvet Smooth-Effect Makeup Broad Spectrum SPF 15 Sunscreen Foundation (could the name be any longer?) is described as a "lightweight, oil-free fluid foundation" gives a "long-lasting, matte-velvet finish for complexion perfection". I purchased this product from Nordstrom, which retails for about $47.00. I am the color Beige 30 or B30. This product contains 1 oz.

The packaging is a sleek, black, plastic bottle with the Chanel logo on the top of the cap. The foundation is pretty small and fits into the palm of my hand. When you unscrew the cap, you will see a squeeze-tube where the product is dispensed.



Texture and Pigmentation

B30 is pretty much a perfect match on me so I have no complaints on the shade. The product is watery feeling and spreads very easily. The texture of the foundation does reminds me of the infamous Shiseido sunscreens. One layer gives a light coverage - any additional layers will give light to medium coverage. I find I don't need too much coverage, so I just stick to one layer.

Once the product has been blended into the skin, I can barely feel the foundation on my face and it gives me a matte to natural finish. I noticed that the foundation dries quickly compared to other foundations, so I don't have that wet-feeling on my face.

One layer of the foundation on my face, with no concealer.
As you can see, some of my blemishes are still visible.

Lasting Power
I find that this foundation is very long lasting compared to many other face products. It actually lasted about 6-8 hours before I noticed any fading on my combination-oily skin. I still put a face primer underneath the foundation because of my skin type, but this foundation lasts longer than others I have tried in the past. Because I also do get oily throughout the day, I set my foundation with setting powder because I am usually out for school for long periods of time.

Overall Thoughts
The first time I used this foundation on my face, I fell in love with it. I just like the matte finish as well as how natural it looks. Although it doesn't necessarily cover everything on my face, I have no problems with applying a tiny bit of concealer on my blemishes. Depending on my skin that day, I'll apply this foundation in a variety of ways including a beauty blender, stippling brush, or my hands. My go-to method is using a brush just because I don't like using my hands and a beauty blender gives more sheer coverage. In general, I like how I don't have to use a lot of this product to achieve my desired effect. This is important to me because this is a really expensive foundation! I can see myself using this all year-round.

The SPF 15 in this product doesn't really do much for me because SPF 30 is the recommended amount to properly protect against UV rays. Dermatologists actually still recommend people to wear a separate sunscreen underneath their makeup to get the full benefits of the sunscreen.

My only real complaint about this foundation is that I wish it was easy to see how much product is left inside the bottle. I generally like to know how much I'm using so I can tell when I need to purchase another foundation

I know this is an expensive product, but I think if you want a really nice matte, light-to-medium coverage foundation, this one by Chanel is worth looking into. I would mostly recommend this to those with normal to oily skin types because it does set to a slightly powdery finish, but it is not to say that this dry skin types wouldn't have any success with this product either.

Where to buy?
You can purchase this product pretty much anywhere there's a Chanel counter (Macy's, Bloomingdale's, etc.) I personally purchased mine on Nordstrom.

I hope you enjoyed this review. I know this review was a bit thorough, but I hope it was informative and not too lengthy. I felt that everything I wrote was necessary xD. I don't want to give any promises of a consistent schedule because of school. All I can say is that I will be back with another post in the next week before my finals really keep me busy.

Hope you all have a great week!
-Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment